
So Salma Hayek was on Oprah yesterday and theres a lot I like about her but she said something that just keeps bugging me. I guess what bugs me is its not just her saying this, its a lot of people and its becoming a common opinion. I lied it was actually 2 things. The first thing was that if you're a 23 year old mom you can't fully appreciate being a mom and the gift it really is because you have to do so many more things. I happen to know a variety of moms in varying ages who started having children at a young age and who do not feel as if they missed out on anything. Not everyones dream is to travel or own their own business or climb Mt. Everest! My dream growing up was to be a stay at home mom. That may not impress the world but it impresses me! All the young moms I know love and value their children just as much as a 40 year old new mom does. The second thing she said was she didn't have to go through the ceremony and the rituals (marriage). She said when people get married something happens and they are not as in love. What?!! Its called we have kids running around the house and a mortgage to pay. She also said when you get married you lose some of your 'power' as a woman. Listen girl, my power as a woman does not depend on whether I am married or single, its called self-esteem, self-worth and self-value. If you're losing that 'power' if you get married you're marrying the wrong guy because the right guy would be building you up.





2 comments:
You go girl!
I am so glad you posted this. I don't usually watch O but was in some need of some downtime yesterday and turned it on during this part and was totally annoyed with what she was saying, too! Uh, the whole time I was just thinking, "Yeah, right. You are dumb." It is so sad that this is becoming more of a common opinion. The family is under attack on so many levels.
Post a Comment