Tuesday, November 11, 2008

DINNER IN A PUMPKIN



So I know its no longer Halloween but it is still fall so I thought I'd post one of my fave new recipes anyways. Its called Dinner in a pumpkin and it is so yummy fun & easy. I have to admit I've never had cooked pumpkin before and I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy it was! The kids had a blast cleaning the pumpkin out while I prepared his 'guts'. After he was done cooking I dressed him up before we dug in.
DINNER IN A PUMPKIN
1 small to medium pumpkin
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (about 3/4 c. dry)
1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
Cut off the top of pumpkin and thoroughly clean out seeds and pulp. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add meat and brown. Drain drippings from skillet. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, mushrooms and soup. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add cooked rice and water chestnuts. Spoon mixture into the cleaned pumpkin shell. Replace pumpkin top and place entire pumpkin, with filling, on a baking sheet. Bake 1 hour or until inside of the pumpkin is tender. Put pumpkin on a platter. Remove pumpkin lid and serve meat. For your vegetable, scoop out cooked pumpkin and serve. Serves 6.
*recipe courtesy of abby

3 comments:

Marshall said...

I am so glad you posted this! Do you know where to find pumpkins?

Lauren said...

We planted our pumpkins late so we didn't get to carve them at Halloween. This recipe will be perfect to try.
~Emily I have lots of pumpkins you can come get one any time!!

Posh Ideas said...

This is a Margaret Sargent Classic tradition to do every halloween! Fun and Easy!