
We watched Michael Moores Sicko Saturday night and I can't stop thinking about it. I was shocked and appalled at the confessions of people who worked in the insurance industry. Did you know that over 50% of bankruptcies are due to medical bills and 1/2 of those people had medical insurance? I recommend that everyone at least watch this movie and post me your response to the movie. I have so many thoughts running through my mind right now I can't focus so when I get focused I'll blog more about it. RENT IT!





3 comments:
Is it going to make me mad? sicked-out? or what? I'm a little scared.
Let you know when I've seen it.
We watched it and while Moore brings up some very valid points, you always have to be weary and ready to research on your own after one of his films. While I completely agree he raised very valid (AND SCARY!) questions on the state of American health care, I don't buy into his oh so perfect view of foreign systems.
I was most upset by his portrayal of Cuba/Castro. Why don't Americans like Castro? Because he overthrew the dictator we like??? Huh?? Granted, I’m sure this point is more valid the higher up you go, but is that really why his people fled his country for years? Castro has admitted to some pretty heinous crimes, and I don't see Americans trying to make it across to Cuba on shoddy home made boats, so I don't think it's as lovely as it seems.
I only spent 30-40 minutes researching this, so forgive me, but so far it appears that his Cuban visit was carefully planned. The hospital they visit is one that is not open to the general Cuban public (this seems to be backed up by many sources. It appears that "health tourism" is large in Cuba and agreement to take part in this film was based largely on the fact that it would promote this industry. "Havana Hospital" (the hospital they supposedly visit) has a website that has prices ranging from 9-15 thousand dollars for foreign open heart surgeries. Hardly free to anyone who walks in, although amazing prices, it shows that those featured in sicko were expected and treated as “special guests”.
Other people reveal that the clinics they have visited in Cuba couldn't even fill their prescription for aspirin, let alone asthma medication. Cubans note that while they can see a Dr. to write them a prescription anytime they like, filling said item is far more difficult.
That being said, I'm glad this movie was made simply due to the questions raised on our own healthcare situation. The Nixon clips were eerie and you feel horrible for all those people who were denied coverage. The testimony by the doctor to congress where she openly admits denying people care they needed to live made me want to punch my tv.
Eek! I already wrote a novel, but I had to run out before I could finish.
The other part that really part that really bothered me was the lack of numbers or the plethora of irrelevant ones.
For example, at one point he asks the question, "how do they pay for this? Oh, they pay huge taxes." He then cuts to this family to illustrate how well they do, even paying all those taxes. They state they make $8,000 a month. First of all, that's $96,000 a year. NOT the income of an average American family. Second, who cares how much they make in American dollars. That number is so useless to us. We don't know where in France they are, what the cost of living is, that number isn't even stable. With the shrinking value of a dollar they surely make a different american dollar amount since this movie came out making it even more pointless.
He never gives real numbers. What actual percent in taxes do they pay? What do the French rate the quality of their health care? If the numbers are on his side, what's up?
Anyway, I still agree that this is something everyone should take time to watch. We really do need to change something here.
Post a Comment